The Bahrain-Explorer, developed in-house, is the Flagship of Geomatec online geo-spatial products. The system was completely developed in-house from data collection and integration, and all the way through to the website design. The mapping engine is based on ArcIMS and Arc/Info from ESRI. It is the first Internet-based mapping system in the Gulf region, which is built on ESRI software, and provides routing solution.
The Bahrain Explorer.com provides web clients with capabilities to search a comprehensive database of services and places of interest in the Kingdom, which ranges from the smallest laundry shop to five star hotels and apartments, pharmacies, restaurants, embassies, hospitals, schools and more. Some of the main features of Bahrain-Explorer are the following:
- A complete interface in Arabic (first of its kind in the region).
- Find and locate places of interest and services by category and key word entry.
- Comprehensive and detailed street maps of Bahrain with all administrative layers and census block boundaries.
- Interactive pan and zoom.
- Display the driving direction between any two selected points of interest.
- Display fastest or shortest routes between two locations.
- Spatial buffering (e.g. find nearest service to a given hotel). into the website not only provides simple point feature identification but also lets clients do proximity search, e.g. it allows user to find restaurants in 100m to 2km radius from the selected hotel or road.